Chef Jose Garces
- 1 lb sugar pie pumpkin, peeled and medium dice
- 1 tbs fresh thyme, minced
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches baby black kale, stems removed, chiffonade
- 2 tbs fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tbs shallots, brunoise
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- To taste, salt and fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup fresh sheep’s milk cheese
- ¼ cup pepitas
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a mixing bowl combine pumpkin, thyme and 2 tbs olive oil and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper. Transfer pumpkin to a parchment-lined sheet tray in a single layer and roast until just tender, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
In a large sauté pan, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat and sweat garlic and shallots until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add kale and chicken stock and cook until just wilted and tender, about 3 minutes. Add butter and cooked pumpkin and cook until butter is melted and pumpkin mixture is saucy. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper.
Transfer mixture to a shallow gratin dish and garnish with shaved sheep’s milk cheese. Bake until cheese is just melted, about 3-4 minutes. Garnish finished gratin with pepitas.